Meals around here have been pretty cheesy as of late. I am not complaining! Tonight’s menu featured an enchilada casserole snagged out of Cooking Light Magazine. It was super easy and quick to make!
After an afternoon at the mall with one of my friends from high school, my mom and I went to pick up some pictures she bought off Craigs List. It’s always semi-creepy buying stuff off Craigs List…you never know who you’ll find.
Lucky for us, this woman was totally normal and my mom purchased three beautiful original paintings with Beatles’ song quotes! She’s been singing Can’t Buy Me Love all evening…
It’s finally raining here, which is good because according to mom, we are well under rain quota for the month. Anyway, here’s the recipe and directions. You can choose any meat you like!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Saute 1 lb. ground pork/chicken/beef and 1 cup chopped onion
- In a medium saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter, 1 1/2 tablespoons flour, and 1 tablespoon minced garlic. Cook for 30 seconds, add 1 cup tomato sauce, 1 cup chicken/beef broth and 1 package taco seasoning.
- Cook for a couple minutes, stirring well. Add 1/2 of the tomato mixture to the meat mixture.
- In a 9-inch pie pan, place 1 whole wheat tortilla and 1 cup meat mixture. Repeat until you’ve reached the top, ending with a tortilla. Add the remainder of the tomato mixture on top of tortilla, top with shredded Monterrey Jack cheese and place in oven.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until cheese is brown.
On the side, we enjoyed sliced avocado and a black bean/cilantro salad. For the salad:
- Add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil to a fry pan along with about a cup of chopped red/yellow/green bell pepper. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add 1 can drained black beans and 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Spoon on top of chopped cilantro.
When it’s all ready, it should look something like this!
Let the record show that this was my sister’s plate. My mom and I’s slices weren’t nearly that perfect-looking. It was good all the same!
Needless to say, baking did not happen again. I’m wondering when it ever will happen (tonight? tomorrow? in two weeks?). We’ll see. For now I’ll keep pinning recipes I like.
As for the rest of the evening, I’d really like to finish my book before Modern Family. It’s quite ambitious….
Remember the New Jersey mom who allegedly brought her 5-year-old daughter to the tanning booth? She now comes in action figure!