I love erranding. In fact, that’s the reason I didn’t post this morning. I’ve decided to never do that again, it totally threw me off. Anyway, I had a super hard workout this morning, a 40-minute treadmill workout to be exact. I’ll post the workout along with some others in a bit- but let’s just say I’ll need to practice some hills!
Breakfast was good! I tried a new Kashi warm cinnamon oat cereal. To my surprise, some of the cereal pieces were in the shape of hearts. So cute! I also had some strawberries and bananas in my bowl.
I decided to FINALLY get ingredients to do the baking I’ve been wanting to do; so after breakfast, I was off to Whole Foods and Wegmans. I decided against purchasing all my groceries at Whole Foods, my main motivation for going there was to buy peanut butter I’ve been dying to try: PB2. It’s peanut butter, but comes in powdered form. Add water and voila! You have peanut butter. I had the chocolate peanut butter on a bagel as a pre lunch deal.
Now for my baking! I used the recipe from Iowa Girl Eats; but added chocolate chips (naturally). I’ll post my adapted version of the recipe here, along with a link to IGE‘s version.
Chocolate Cherry Chewy Granola Bars
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- dash of cinnamon
- In a food processor, place 1/2 cup of each nut and finely process. Place in large bowl. Roughly chop or process the remainder of the nuts and place in bowl. Then, put cherries and chocolate chips in bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the honey, salt, extracts, and cinnamon in a saucepan over medium heat until bubbling. Pour the mixture over the nut mixture and coat. Note: the chocolate WILL melt, so prepare for some messiness…or omit the chocolate chips all together.
- Place Saran Wrap in an 8×8 cookie sheet so that there is extra hanging off the edges. Pour the nut and honey mixture on to the cookie sheet and firmly press until about 1/2 thick with your hands. Then, cover the granola bars with the remainder of the Saran Wrap.
- Place granola bars in refrigerator for about 4 hours.